Half Past His Autumn
Good Night, Sleep Well

So, this morning I heard the news that someone whose art I've always admired has passed.
My dear Mr. Gordon Parks.
Thank you so much for your living, your craft, your art, your vision, your spirit. May you rest in peace.
There's so much I could say about how much I love his work as a fan of photography especially, but you can just as easily read his biography. I just wanted to provide you some links and some of his images. I admire him most for his photography, his work with LIFE magazine, but did you know that he directed the movies The Learning Tree and Shaft, among others? He was a Harlem Renaissance kind of man, in a new world. I can't even say enough about him.
Half Past Autumn is one of my favorite books on my bookshelf. You should check it out if you haven't yet.
Here's a picture that he took of another one of my literary heroes, Langston Hughes.

Here's one of his most well-known photographs, American Gothic (1942).

Another that I love:

Please click here or here (this is fantastic, really, his art, his bio, videos) for more about this incredible man. How can you not be moved?


3 Comments:
Main Entry: re·nais·sance
Pronunciation: "re-n&-'sän(t)s, -'zän(t)s, -'säns, -'zäns, 're-n&-", chiefly British ri-'nA-s&n(t)s
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French, from Middle French, rebirth, from renaistre to be born again, from Latin renasci, from re- + nasci to be born -- more at NATION
1 capitalized a : the transitional movement in Europe between medieval and modern times beginning in the 14th century in Italy, lasting into the 17th century, and marked by a humanistic revival of classical influence expressed in a flowering of the arts and literature and by the beginnings of modern science b : the period of the Renaissance c : the neoclassic style of architecture prevailing during the Renaissance
2 often capitalized : a movement or period of vigorous artistic and intellectual activity
3 : REBIRTH, REVIVAL
May he rest in peace.
Thanks Joanne for introducing me to this wonderful artist who before now i know nothing about.
He was an awesome artist, producer and director! Thanks for pay hommage to him!!
Post a Comment
<< Home